Midweek Thoughts

 


I have several things that I've been thinking about this entire week and I wanted to get them written down before they become less important than they truly are. 

Thought #1

Seeing your weight loss in a tangible manner is important. 

I have a tendency to get depressed and down about my progress because I look at it in terms of how much further I have to go. Who can get excited about working one day when your ultimate goal is retirement and it's 4,729 days away? "Yeah, Buddy! I started my job today and I only have 4,729 more days until I can retire!"

Yeah.... No. 

BUT 

I decided to look at my weight loss in terms of some handheld weights we have lying around the house. I picked up the amount of weight I have lost and just carried them around. I lifted them, put them on my lap and stood up with them there, put them in a backpack and walked around with them, and carried them on my shoulders. 

You know what? 

12 pounds is more weight than a person may realize. I'm so happy to see it gone and I don't want it back. I ran a few steps with those stupid weights in my hand and then ran a few steps without them and it was SO much easier without them. I can't wait until another set of weights is gone from my body!

Thought #2

I've passed on my coping mechanism to my daughter.

This one breaks me. I haven't had a healthy way of dealing with stress and boredom. She has watched me and she learned. Worried about something? Have a couple cookies. Can't change a situation? Grab a box of Little Debbies and keep them in a secret spot so you can grab one. Nothing to do in the afternoon? Sit with a bag of chips and watch TV. Going to the store? No one will care if you eat a donut...or 3. In fact, buy that thing of frosting and enjoy. Just throw the container away before you get in the house. 

Ugh 

I'm embarrassed. I'm heartbroken and I'm disappointed in myself. She watched me and when she couldn't make friends with people, she ate. When her big brother moved away, she ate. When her little brother picked on her and harassed her, she would close her door and sit with whatever food she had hidden away and console herself with it. 

I failed her. 

That's why this is such a big deal. 

**Photo credit, Chris Ellerbroek

My little girl, completely on her own, joined track. I'm so proud of her and want to do whatever I can to encourage her. I don't know how to break the cycle of food, but I know how to help someone I love achieve whatever their goal may be. I'm going to be there for her and hopefully this will begin the process of reversing the damage I've caused by my poor example. It's my prayer and heart's cry. 

That's what's occupied my thoughts this week. How about you?





Comments

  1. Teresa, know that you are a perfect shining example to your daughter as well as to your family and friends. I learned years ago that I am the perfect parent for my children and you are too. Your children are in your life because of the perfect beautiful gifts you have to give them. Well done my dear, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! Again, love your transparency! GOD CHOSE YOU to be her mom!!! And He knew all of the ins and outs of you!!! HE is enough for her and you!!! Great job!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A New Beginning

The Man on TV

Another Year